Skip to main content

If Drums Were Lost - Part 2


Part 2 of 2:  If Drums Were Lost




(con't from Dec 3rd):

 For a time I was a very busy studio drummer in the Okanagan (BC, Canada) as well as playing with some of the top bands in the area at the time. I went through the trials of the road touring BC and Alberta (Canada) and definitely learned the “paying your dues” part of the business; there is an entire book to be written on that alone! 

When my wife and I relocated to a smaller city there was not many openings for drummers. What few bands there were had some one already playing the drum kit. So I switched gears and played mostly auxiliary percussion (congas, bongos, timbales, etc) in bands. Also I was lured into a few local theatre productions, which incidentally, was a great way to hone my reading skills. 

Now I have a perfect balance of playing in a weekend rock band, teaching both drum set privately and hand drums in groups. I also build and repair just about anything to do with drums and percussion and I have plans to pursue the marketing of some percussion accessories I have developed over the 40 years of my career.

But - life without the drums? 

I really can’t answer that as drums are so much a part of my life. 

Music has such a powerful affect on me when playing it with other musicians and enjoyed by a crowd of dancing people. 

It is my meditation, my therapy. 

I very well may been locked up in a sanitarium at an early age for tapping and thumping on anything near me and making strange percussive noises out of what ever I happened to be holding. At least I wouldn’t be alone there. There would be a million other tappers and thumpers like the Ringo’s, Keith’s and Animals to keep in time with. 

Drum on…


* Part 1 of this article can be found on Dec 3rd


 ~~ 

Find us online via : 


~~

Comments